Sand in the City 2013
Kick things off on Friday, August 23rd. Watch the Team Sand Sculpting Competition, with 13 t eams competing this year for the coveted Gold Shovel Award! This year’s teams include:
- · Alpine & Warehouse Rock Gym powered by Puget Sound Energy
- · Berschauer Phillips Construction
- · Boys & Girls Club of Thurston Co., Sponsored by: Olympia Federal Savings
- · Brown and Caldwell
- · Great Wolf Lodge & Big Brothers Big Sisters of SW WA, Sponsored by: Great Wolf Lodge
- · Morningside
- · North Thurston Public School Art Teachers, Sponsored by: Mortenson Construction
- · Olympia Free Clinic, Sponsored by: Heritage Bank
- · Olympia School District, Sponsored by: WSECU
- · Olympia Waldorf School, Sponsored by: Reliable Electric
- · Panorama
- · Port Blakely Tree Farms
- · Saint Martin’s Alumni Association, Sponsored by: Saint Martin’s University
SATURDAY & SUNDAY
Visit Saturday, August 25th for the big Community Beach Party with over 40 hands-on activities, rock wall climbing, tide pool touch tanks, giant sandboxes, paddle board demonstrations, face-painting, arts & crafts, live music, and other on-stage entertainment. Then come by Sunday, August 26th for Grandparent’s Day, with all the fun of Saturday plus special activities for grandparents and grandkids! Visit www.hocm.org/sandinthecity for a complete listing of activities and entertainment.
SAND IN THE CITY GALA
The ever popular Sand in the City Gala is Friday evening, August 23rd from 7-11pm. Enjoy scrumptious food from the region’s premier restaurateurs, sip on spirits and munch on s’mores around the fire, dance to the great cover band The Beatniks, bid on the bigger-than-ever Silent Auction, and play inside the fabulous new Museum! To buy tickets to Gala, an adults-only event, visit www.hocm.org/sandinthecitygala.
MUSEUM WILL ALSO BE OPEN!
In addition to all the outdoor fun, families can play inside the new Museum for a special event admission rate of $25. Special admission includes access to the Museum’s 150+ hands-on exhibits in nine themed galleries and the first exhibits of its new Outdoor Discovery Center designed to connect children to nature: a giant two-story stick sculpture by renowned artist Patrick Dougherty and the Driftwood Fort Construction Area.
Proceeds from this three-day event, special event museum admission, and the evening gala, benefit the Museum’s Free & Reduced Admission Program. Call 360-956-0818 or see our website www.hocm.org/sandinthecity for more information.